Here at Boswell Equestrian Centre, we would like to inform you that we are aware of the recent strangles outbreak in the area and we are doing what we can to prevent it from reaching our yard.
Strangles is highly infectious, however we are reassured that all the neccessary health and safety precautions are in place to isolate the outbreak.
We ask that all future competitors/spectators here on site support us in undertaking good hygiene precautions by following the STEPS Strategy.
STEPS: Strategy To Eradicate and Prevent Strangles
These are some simple steps that we can take at all times to help reduce the risk:
1. When travelling to another yard, please bring your own buckets, water and feed. Do not share buckets between horses. Avoid any nose to nose contact between horses. When handling other horses wash your hands immediatley.
2. At home get into the good practice of having separate grooming kits, numnahs, rugs, tack and buckets for each horse.
3. Anyone who moves between yards should implement simple hygiene measures such as washing their hands, disinfecting their boots and, if possible, changing outer clothing between yards.
4. Any horses that have been to yards affected by the outbreak should undergo a three week period of isolation. This should provide sufficient time for clinical signs to develop and be recognised before mixing with resident horses.
5. As a precaution please desist from bringing dogs to Boswell until further notice. They too may be carriers.
Thank you for your co-operation.
Debbie and all the Team at Boswell